HK first day

So the big day. Our first proper day in HK and the eagerly anticipated trip to the HK Maritime Museum. Lea definitely shared my excitement. Very interesting learning about Canton, HK and the Coolie trade. Foreign influences clearly much appreciated!
Everything seems to be set up a bit low for me here. Nice observation deck tho'. 

Whilst we were in the gift shop I realized that lea was using a fictional exchange rate that made everything appear ludicrously cheap. It was lucky I nipped this in the bud early before we hit the more upmarket shopping centres. 

At lunch we had some Michelin star dim sum which was pretty bloody good. Those Michelin people might know what they're talking about. 
Whilst there it occurred to me that these changing facilities are incredibly sexist. 
Something really must be done about this after I've finished having children please. 

I've also noticed how easy it is to be drawn to western chains and western style restaurants/cafe's when in another culture. The presentation, decor, layout all just seems to make it appeal more. It's a very strong pull of familiarity. I'm making a determined effort to keep it local and experience the true HK. 


Finally, a walk in the park, which is getting prepared for this weekend's mid-autumn festival, and an evening hike up the peak. It is truly hot, humid and sticky at the moment, especially in the evenings. I sweated buckets over rosa-mei. She seemed pretty cheerful about it. 








Comments

Popular Posts