New year's;s eve in new Zealand

Did I tell you about my first night plan in new Zealand? I figured as I wasn't landing until midnight, what was the point in payin for that night's accommodation. Surely I could just kip in the airport.

As the time got closer, I started to get somewhat nervous about my plan. Was it allowed? Could I get arrested? What would I do of they kicked me out? Could be a bit late to find myself somehwere to sleep. I consoled myself with the fact that these international airports have flights landing and taking off at all times, so surely they'd always have people coming and going and not notice little old me. Regardless, all such worries were pushed to the back of my mind when it looked like they weren't even going to let me get on my flight cos I didn't have a ticket for onward travel. How did I miss that in my Internet research! So I had to buy a ticket out of New Zealand there at the airport so they'd let me into New Zealand in the first place.

However, once I did get to new Zealand, and make it past the world's cutest biodetector,






things were definitely looking on the up. There were a lot of people in the arrivals lounge who looked like they were not going anywhere quickly. Even more surprisingly, there were a number of couples who seemed to have romantically decided to see the new year in with a night at the airport. Something I'll remember for when I want to treat the good lady to something a bit different. And there were one or two families hanging around as well. It was quite a nice set up too. Plasma tv showing the nz v Bahrain world cup play-off. Little gaming zone in the corner. My confidence took a bit of a blow when I checked the arrivals board and saw there were none between 12:45 and 8:20. Surely the airport was going to close. And what was I going to do if security asked me what I was doing here. Should I say I was waiting for someone arriving in the morning? What if they asked more questions? Or should I say I was waiting for the city bus (first departure 6:22am) to save nzd7.50 on a shuttle? Or should I fess that I was trying to get a free night's accommodation. However, once a number of couples started cracking out sleeping bags and eyemasks






, with the security guards standing by not batting an eyelid, this whole thing started to look legitimate.













I tell you if my parents had known about this there'd have been none of that sneaking around pretending to be a family of four it get in a family room. I almost even began to recall having done this before in advance of a flight. Perhaps to sardinia. Me and stu holmes maybe. Will have to check. But how do they keep homeless people from just travelling to the airport every night? Clean bathrooms, a roof over your head, tv. It occurred to me that in my haste to get a flight booked out of new zealand I'd booked one departing at 9am. Check-in about 7. Hmm, I see an opportunity there! I even started get a bit annoyed that we'd paid for a night in the hostel at Melbourne and had to get a taxi to the airport at 4am for the flight to Brisbane. What fools! Anyway, it's nearly 2am so probably time for me to hunker down and see what happens. Night!











Comments

  1. So, wow, free internet too? Right, that's it, I'm cancelling my hostel.

    p.s. yeah forgot to say about the onward travel - that's why I already booked my flight to Sydney, I remember now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was involved in the midnight flit to Gatwick with Stu Holmes (or was it the midnight gat to Flitwick). You were on your way to Sardinia and had a surfboard with you. I struggled to stay awake all the way back to Blunham, I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twas indeed pre a Sardinia trip. Think your dad dropped us off about 6 hours before check in as it was the only way we could get there. Bloody cold i seem to remember.

    Not sure about the surf board above though???

    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good, that make shift camp looks comfy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts