Stuart Days 1 and 2

So, here we are at the end of Day 2 and my first blog. The flight was fine and I managed to watch four films, though I couldn't watch the last 10 mins of the one I enjoyed most - Nebraska - because we landed. My fears about immigration were unfounded and we had done all the necessary, picked up the car and got to our motel within less than three hours of landing. Steve discovered Jerry's Motel - best value for money on Trip Advisor, traditional American motel but within a stone's throw of the LA CBD. Ten rooms, very compact. but clean and comfortable. Getting back to car rentals, everyone associates road trips with exotic cars. Our pre-booked compact gave us a choice between a Hyundai Accent and a Yaris. We went for the Accent. Driving has proved to be very straightforward if you keep to the inside lane, maintain a steady pace and pick the right exits off the 8-lane freeways that seem to criss-cross the city.

We woke early this morning and headed off to Venice Beach. After an early morning coffee and bagel at the Cow's End, we walked along the beach from Venice boardwalk to Santa Monica boardwalk. Amazing sights along the way with people out doing an amazing range of physical pursuits. Venice Beach is very alternative and Santa Monica is more staid and conventional. I was wearing my fashionable Reebok trainers (at least they were when I bought them 10 years ago). A cool black dude sitting of the back of a bench said to me: "Nice shoes, man. Back in the day when shoes were shoes, not pieces of plastic. Good for my self-esteem. We has 7 hours strolling the beaches and then jumped in the car for a quick tour of Hollywood Boulevard, Laurel Canyon and Mulholland Drive - amazing. Back to Jerry's and then beers and nachos in a nearby bar (and NBA on the TV!). Bliss! Off to Santa Barbera tomorrow. Steve has crashed out, so I guess he'll be catching up in the morning.









Comments

Popular Posts